Voluntary Simplicity: Simplify the Holidays
- November 8 Sermon: “There’s More Than One Love Language”
- Challenge: Create a plan for a meaningful December holiday season
- Wednesday, November 18 Potluck Dinner at 6 p.m.
- Join the Spirit Study Facebook group to share how you’re doing with the challenge
- From my sermon: This is the note I wrote to friends and family suggesting we stop exchanging gifts:
This year for Christmas, I want you to take the time and energy you would have spent buying me a gift, and instead spend that time with your spouse [or children], and let that time with your family be my gift to you, and I’ll do the same and let the time saved be your gift to me. And let’s do that for each other from now on.
- The “One Less Gift” Certificate (pdf)
- Blog article: “The Helpful Guide to Simple Christmas Links”
- Book: Simplify Your Christmas: 100 Ways to Reduce the Stress and Recapture the Joy of the Holidays by Elaine St. James
- Book: Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love & Joy Back Into the Season by Jo Robinson and Jean Coppock Staeheli