The Sunday Worship Musician provides piano solo music and accompaniment for congregational singing for both the 9:00 AM and the 11:00 AM worship services. The dates and number of Sundays per month vary, but generally work out to once a month. Dates will be mutually agreed upon between the Music Director and the contractor.
This position reports to the Music Director, Tim McKnight.
- Collaborate with the Minister and other worship leaders to plan the musical aspects of the worship service.
- Choose and prepare appropriate music for the Prelude and the Offering (and sometimes a third solo selection, depending on the individual Sunday) which are played for both services.
- Prepare congregational hymns as well as other congregational singing elements of the service as necessary, all of which are played for both services.
- Communicate relevant information (i.e. title, composer, arranger, etc.) for all musical selections for printing in the Order of Service.
- If requested, accompany special music soloist/ensemble, which includes one 30-minute rehearsal with soloist/ensemble.
- Meet with the song leader, if necessary, before the first service on Sunday morning to go through the hymns together.
Pay and Hours
This is an independent contractor position that pays $200 per Sunday. The contractor would need to be available from 8:15 am – 12:15 pm on the Sunday morning for which they are providing music. All other work hours (as necessary) are flexible.
How to Apply
- E-mail a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position at Chalice OR a detailed resume to email@example.com with “Worship Musician” as subject heading, or mail to Chalice Unitarian Universalist Congregation, c/o Tim McKnight, 2324 Miller Avenue, Escondido, CA 92029.
- Upon receipt of the above, you will be contacted to set up an audition with the Music Director.