Reports to: Music Director
The Children’s Choir Director rehearses Spirit of Chalice (Chalice UU Congregation’s children’s choir for children in Kindergarten through 5th grade) and leads them in performances approximately 3-4 times per year at Sunday morning worship.
- Lead dynamic and engaging rehearsals with music that explores the Unitarian Universalist faith tradition and Chalice’s mission statement.
- Lead one weekly rehearsal during the months of September through May.
- Schedule 3-4 times performances per congregational year during Sunday morning worship.
- Ensure the presence of another adult (e.g. an accompanist, parent/volunteer, etc.), in addition to the director, for all rehearsals and performances, as required by church policy.
- Work with the Minister and Music Director to select music that is appropriate for the size of the group, the ages and vocal ranges of the children, as well as music that connects to the themes of the worship services.
- Adhere to Chalice’s Safety Policies regarding children’s ministries.
- Communicate with parents/guardians using e-mail and other technological resources available to Chalice staff.
- Implement and follow behavior agreement for all participants.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Prior experience working with young children in a musical setting.
- Basic conducting skills
- Confident singing voice
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE RECOMMENDED BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Some level of keyboard proficiency is helpful
Follow Through: Consistently attends to the many small pieces which must be assembled into an organized whole; follows up on missing or out of balance items; resolves unanswered questions needed to address a problem; keeps the larger picture in mind while tending to details.
Personal Resilience: Can effectively cope with change and uncertainty; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty; is flexible.
Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and directs the time of others to what is important; quickly zones in on the critical issue, and ignores or minimizes distractions; can sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; demonstrates focus.
Leadership in Covenantal Community
Ethics and Values: Honors the core values and beliefs of the organization in his/her choice of behaviors; consistently embodies appropriate behavioral choices in both stressful and nonstressful situations; practices the behaviors he/she advocates to others.
Interpersonal Skills: Establishes good working relationships with all others who are relevant to the completion of work; works well with people at all levels of the congregation; builds appropriate rapport; considers the impact of his/her actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable; avoids communication triangles.
PAY AND HOURS
This is a paid support staff position consisting of approximately 6 hours per month at $15/hour for 9 months of the congregational year (Sept. through May). This includes:
- A weekly 30- or 45-minute rehearsal on Sunday mornings (historically either between services @ 10:15-10:45am or during the second service @ 11:00-11:30am). Rehearsals take place from approximately September through May.
- Approximately 3-4 times per year, schedule performances for the children during Sunday morning worship. The children sing at both services (9am and 11am) and may leave right after they perform in the second service (around 11:15am). Ideally, Spirit of Chalice would present something at the Winter Music Service (annually in December) and/or the Spring Music Service (annually in May or June). If possible, one of the performances per year should be a combined performance with the adult choir.