NOTE: THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
Open Position Posted: June 12, 2019
Position Title: Director of Family Ministries
Reports To: Senior Minister
Status: Half-time Hourly (25 hours)
Start Date: August 12, 2019 (negotiable)
Application Deadline: July 19, 2019
The Director of Family Ministries provides dynamic, relevant and innovative leadership to grow Chalice UUC Sunday morning religious education programs for children and youth and to develop new ministries to meet the faith formation needs of families in the 21st century.
This position has five major areas of responsibility including Program Leadership, Building Multigenerational Community, Program Management, Volunteer Coordination and Staff Management, and Professional Development. Details of each follow.
Program Leadership includes but not limited to the following:
- Provide bold and inspiring leadership and vision for nurturing the spiritual growth of children and youth.
- Implements and oversees all aspects of year-round religious education programming for children, youth, young adults to age 24, and multigenerational families.
- Researches, selects and implements the use of appropriate curricula and other resources.
- Ensures the safety of children and youth through implementation of congregational safety policies and additional safety measures.
- Identifies and develops needed policies; ensures existing policies are current and followed.
- Evaluates effectiveness of program relative to goals.
- Enables the growth of the religious education program.
- Generates a sense of hospitality and accessibility to people of all ages; creates a welcoming and supportive environment for families and volunteers; assures accessibility of RE classes to all children, youth and volunteers regardless of ability.
Building Multigenerational Community includes but not limited to the following:
- Serve as an ambassador of the RE program on Sunday mornings and at major church events. This includes welcoming and orienting visiting families, marketing and public relations for RE programs, and cultivating relationships with current families.
- Work with the Senior Minister to ensure children, youth and families receive pastoral care.
- Develops, leads, and participates in various multigenerational worship services and rites of passage and programs including Our Whole Lives (OWL), Coming of Age, Bridging Ceremonies, and welcoming youth into membership.
- Ensures the integration of children, youth, and families with other areas of congregational life, including worship.
- Collaborates with the Senior Minister, Family Ministries Team, and others to develop and articulate an innovative intergenerational RE ministry vision, mission and policies.
- Finds opportunities to coordinate RE programming with other church programs, especially social justice.
- Works with families to offer social and support opportunities at Chalice
Program Management includes but not limited to the following:
- General administrative tasks, including budget monitoring and development; and keeping registration and attendance records
- Ensures communication with the congregation (newsletter, etc.)
- Administers the “Chalice Parents and Grandparents” Facebook group, posts regularly, and encourages participation on the page
Volunteer Coordination and Staff Management includes but not limited to the following:
- Ensures required background checks are completed for all volunteers and staff.
- Ensures all required safety trainings occur.
- Recruits, equips, schedules and supervises volunteer staff (teachers, assistants, mentors, advisors).
- Hires, trains, and supervises childcare providers, as well as schedules such for worship services and adult religious education classes.
- Provides direction, gains commitment, facilitates change and achieves results through the efficient, creative and responsible deployment of volunteers; engages people in their areas of giftedness and passion; creates a climate in which people want to do their best; motivates employees, volunteers and members; empowers others.
Professional Development includes but not limited to the following:
- Pursues credentialing with LREDA.
- Attends cluster and district meeting and events when appropriate.
- Reads material (books, blogs, newsletters, etc.) relevant to liberal religious education.
- Attends Chalice worship services at least twice monthly.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 3+ years of increasing responsibility in faith formation programs or experience in a related field.
- Strong ability to relate to adults and children and lead with enthusiasm.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree desired
- Knowledge of:
- UU RE philosophy, teaching/learning theories and methodologies, and programming; RE Certification desired.
- Family, organizational, and church systems.
- Standard computer skills to include Microsoft Office, Dropbox, and Facebook.
- Skills in:
- Supervising paid and volunteer staff.
- Adapting curricula and developing creative programming.
- Group facilitation.
- Communicating and interacting with all ages and groups.
- Ability to:
- Work collegially with Senior Minister, staff team, lay leaders and parents.
- Nurture spiritual development at all age levels.
- Exercise leadership, including openness to change.
WAGES, BENEFITS, AND HOURS
This is a half-time (25 hours) hourly position that reports to the Minister. Entry pay is $21 – $25 an hour depending on qualifications. Chalice UUC offers 50% contribution towards health insurance premiums, 5% toward retirement (after one year), and has generous paid time- off policies.
Work hours are flexible, but need to include ten hours in the Chalice office at set times (office hours), in addition to Sunday mornings 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
A criminal background check will be required.
How to Apply
Submit PDF version of the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Your resume.
- Three professional references. Include full name, address, phone, email and relationship.
- A narrative description of your qualifications for each of the five areas under “essential functions.” Please limit your response to two pages.
About Chalice Unitarian Universalist Congregation
Founded in 2000, Chalice UUC is a beacon of liberal religious values in North San Diego County. Our faith community of approximately 200 congregants affirms and promotes a vision of religious freedom, tolerance, and social justice. For more information on Chalice UUC and our religious education program, please visit our website.