Position Title: Interim Choir Director
Reports To: Minister
Status: Part-time Hourly (15-20 hours a month)
Start Date: December 23, 2018 (negotiable)
Application Deadline: December 17, 2018
We are seeking an Interim Choir Director for a six-month position (January through June 2019) while our Music Director is on a leave of absence.
- Provides rehearsals once a week for 1-1/2 hours plus a 30-minute rehearsal before Sunday worship in which the choir sings
- Conducts the choir at Sunday worship services twice a month (usually every other Sunday)
- Confers with the Minister to select appropriate choir music for worship services
- Researches, purchases, and maintains choral music within the church budget for these items
- Recruits and coaches choir members
- Provides information to the church office on music selection for each week the choir sings
- Arranges in a timely manner for a substitute conductor for any absence (rehearsal or performance), and informs supervisor
- Provides choir members a schedule of proposed music in advance of the performances, and plans rehearsals to allow adequate preparations for future performances
- Encourages a diversity of musical styles, arrangements, formats
- Has a commitment to and a working knowledge of Unitarian Universalism
- Maintains membership in the Unitarian Universalist Musicians Network (UUMN) (membership fees are paid by the Church)
The music office is on the second-floor, accessible only by stairs. Accommodations can be made for the mobility-impaired.
This is a part-time (15-20 hours a month) hourly position that reports to the Minister. Pay is $24 an hour. A criminal background check will be required.
- Work hours are flexible, but include:
- Weekly choir rehearsals (1.5 hours a week). Choir rehearsals have historically been on Thursday evenings, 7:30-9 p.m. Rehearsal day and times are negotiable.
- 2 Sunday mornings a month, January through June
- Meeting with the Minister as needed to discuss choir music selections for the coming months
- Chalice’s regular Sunday worship times are 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. The choir sings at both services, usually in the first half.
- Our congregation is undergoing a construction project. During construction we will worship at one service at 1:30 p.m. at a location in Poway. We do not know the exact dates of construction at this time, but expect them to be roughly January through April.
How to Apply
Email the following to email@example.com:
- Letter of interest
- Statement of qualifications.
- Three professional references. Include full name, address, phone, email and relationship.
About Chalice Unitarian Universalist Congregation
Founded in 2000, Chalice UUC is a beacon of liberal religious values in North San Diego County. Our faith community of approximately 200 congregants affirms and promotes a vision of religious freedom, tolerance, and social justice. For more information on Chalice UUC, please visit our website.